Grizzly Triplets and Home
From Hyder, Alaska, we followed the gravel road until it entered British Columbia again. A stream flowed by an old gold mine.
There is a lot of renewed mining activity in this area with lots of pickup trucks coming up the road.
The road became very steep. Very very steep. Then the first part of North America's fifth largest glacier came into view,
Salmon Glacier.
The following morning we headed south from Stewart, BC. A ranger told us of a stream where we might see a mother and her
triplets, so as it came into view we pulled over to the side of the road. A man and a woman were standing there and he
signaled to be quiet. That meant good stuff, so we grabbed our cameras and quietly walked on to the bridge. The man--a
retired school superintendent from the US--pointed at some moving brush and said that a mama and her triplets would soon
walk across the road.
Mama crossed first and then the triplets.
Mama hid the cubs in the bushes and then set about fishing for Sockeye.
Mama took the sockeye back into the bushes where the cubs were to eat it.
One of the cubs strayed out from the bushes and then could not find its mom and began howling for its mother.
Mama called, and little bear returned to the bushes.

Mama eventually came out and did some more fishing.
Eventually the three cubs emerged and they and mama walked down the river together, probably to take a nap. We were on
the road again.
British Columbia has numerous tourist information centers, and at one of these centers, a woman suggested that we go to
Bella Coola. We did. We hired guides for a day and a half to look for grizzlies. We did not have a lot of luck. The salmon run
had not yet begun. We did see one mother and twins for about one minute before she smelled our scent and disappeared with
the cubs.
From Bella Coola we took the ferry to Port Hardy via Bella Bella.
Salmon were jumping like crazy at the head waters of a creek by the ferry dock in Bella Bella.
We travelled 9300 miles on this trip. We drove some pretty challenging roads. After our trip up the Dempster, the steering
wheel shook violently when we hit the pavement to Dawson. After spending 20 minutes pressure washing our wheels, we found
a mechanic who took off the wheels and washed out the evil Dempster mud and rebalanced the tires and got us on the way.
The fall colors in the Dempster were not what we expected, but the wildlife was great and we have a new appreciation for the
geography of the Canadian Northwest where roads mostly went through high mountain ranges.