A boardwalk path took us through the
Cradle Mountain valley.
A few unconventional locals gave us a welcome although
the Echidna below was too busy sticking his long nose in
the ground to eat aunts to observe our presence.
Our next to last day we drove south
from Hobart for an hour and then took
a ferry to Bruny Island. We drove
another two hours to the tip of the
island--one of the most southern
points of Australia to the second
oldest lighthouse in Tasmania built in
1836 in one of the most unfriendly
places one could visit. Once again we
experienced the fiercest winds of our
lives. We were barely able to walk up
to the lighthouse from the sheltered
side. From there we looked at one of
the fiercest seas in the world--one
which we had crossed only days
before. The crashing white foam in
the pictures below was at least 50 to
100 feet high--much bigger than it
looks in the picture.
On our way back up the island we stopped at a protected bay called Adventure Bay. The picture below is taken at the
spot where Captain Cook stopped in 1777.
We also stopped at a Ferry Penguin rookery at the isthmus of the island. These are the smallest penguins in the world.
Unfortunately, we were a few days too late. The penguins had finished raising their young and were gone, so all that
was left was for Jackie to walk the beach.